Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Fix the error message Operating system not found

If when you boot your PC you receive the error message 'Operating system not found', it's probable that Windows has lost partition information.

QUESTION My PC's hard disk appears to have died. The machine is a few years old, but has been running fine and I haven't installed any new hardware or software. When I turn on the computer I get the message: ‘Operating system not found'.
I know a bit about PCs and Windows, and thought it could be a problem with the Master Boot Record. I booted from my Windows XP CD and used the Recovery Console to attempt to rebuild the OS. The plan was to use the fixmbr command, but I was stopped in my tracks when the Recovery Console reported that it couldn't find a hard disk.
Oddly, the Bios shows that the hard disk is still connected to the PC and it clearly has power. When I removed the case's side panel I can hear the disk whirring away as normal, with none of the ominous clicking sounds you might expect to hear from a failing drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment